Government Investigations & Enforcement Proceedings
Our firm has exceptionally broad experience representing individuals and businesses in administrative and criminal enforcement proceedings of all kinds. Over the past several years our lawyers have represented clients in many of the most important and complex investigations of alleged financial and accounting fraud in the country. We have appeared dozens of times before the SEC and other federal regulatory agencies on behalf of our clients, including some of the country's largest public companies and their officers and directors. We have also tried dozens of criminal cases.
Some of our more prominent representations in recent years include the following:
- Represented large accounting firm in investigation of Bank of New York by United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York.
- Represented mid-sized accounting firm in civil False Claims Act investigation by United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of California (persuaded government to decline to file action).
- Represented large accounting firm in potential fraud and malpractice action investigated by United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York (United States Attorney, overruling the staff, persuaded to drop the case).
- Represented auditors in large accounting firm in criminal investigation by United States Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of New York (no charges filed).
- Represented Arthur Andersen audit partner before SEC and numerous other administrative bodies in connection with Andersen's Enron engagement.
- Represented numerous large accounting firms and individual audit partners before the SEC in connection with charges of auditor malpractice.
- Represent several present and former high-ranking officers of large public company in investigations of accounting fraud pending before the SEC and before a federal grand jury.
- Represent private consulting firm in connection with government investigation into billing issues in Iraq.
We have also undertaken numerous high profile representations of high-ranking government officials in various types of criminal investigations. Among these, we have:
- Represented Office of the President in response to subpoena by Independent Counsel Starr for notes created of conversations between the First Lady and White House counsel.
- Represented former Cabinet Secretary in Whitewater grand jury proceedings and in civil litigation arising from alleged irregularities in the Department (no charges brought)
- Represented White House official in connection with Campaign Finance investigation by Senate and House, Babbitt Independent Counsel, and investigation of the Teamsters by the U.S. Attorney (S.D.N.Y.) (no charges brought)
- Represented an Assistant U.S. Attorney in Senate investigation of BNL.
- Represented former Naval officer in conflict-of-interest investigation by U.S. Attorney (D.Md.) (no charges brought)
- Represented former AID officer in conflict-of-interest investigation by U.S. Attorney (D.D.C.)
- Represented former DOD attorney in espionage prosecution.
- Handled internal investigations for financial institution and in connection with alleged wrongdoing by a branch of the Department of Justice.
The firm also has considerable experience in conducting internal investigations for a variety of organizations. Members of the firm have conducted internal investigations at some of the largest publicly traded companies in the United States, as well as within government agencies and non-profit organizations. The firm also has represented individuals during such investigations.
Return to Practice Areas